Monday, July 14, 2014

Vegas 2014


 If you didn't know, last week was the week for teachers to take over Vegas!
There were tons of SDE conferences being held including I Teach K, I Teach 1st, and the very first Teachers Pay Teachers Conference.  

So when Vegas calls --- I answer!

Who wouldn't want to go to a place like Las Vegas to meet and learn from so many talented, like-minded teachers?  Plus, some of those people have become my online friends and it was time to give them real life hugs!  
 First order of business was ordering some business cards and preparing a cute little gift for these friends I've made.  If you can't tell from the picture, I took packs of Extra gum and attached a cute little sign that says "I am EXTRA lucky to call you my friend" and my business card.  This was an easy thing to make and also easy to travel with.  I couldn't risk using up the space I needed in my suitcase for shoes!  

So Wednesday morning I boarded the plane (suuuuuuper early) and made it to Vegas by 11:00 am.  Here is what my room looked like in the Venetian!  Although before making it to my room I had to figure out these elevators.  I mean, were they drunk when they numbered these buttons or does that make perfect sense to people in Vegas: Level 2, 4, 10, 3, and then 29-36.  
 Here are those friends I was telling you about.  Can I just say that meeting people in person that you've spoken to online for over a year is like running into your best friend in the store.  We just hugged and picked up conversations where they left off.  These ladies here (and many more that aren't pictured were just AH-MAZING!!!!). 
 Wednesday night (yes it was still only Wednesday) was the Teacher/Blogger Meet-Up hosted by the fabulous Rachelle Smith from What the Teacher Wants.   Look at all those teachers - wow, right?!  I got to meet so many people but somehow only took a few pictures.  Here I am with Jenny from Luckeyfrog's Lilypad, Alyssha from Teaching and Tapas, Sarah from Sarah's Snippets, and Jen from Teaching in the Tongass - who was also my super awesome roommate.  
 Soooo many people and soooo many prizes. And guess who won - not once, but twice??  
THIS GIRL!!!  Woohoo!!!
I may not have been lucky gambling, but I was lucky here.  Everyone got some awesome swag for free (do you see those Scentos markers - heaven!) and I won a Classroom Friendly Sharpener, which I've wanted for FOREVER and $50 in gift certificates to TpT.  I could've gone home right there and been happy - but I'm so happy I didn't because it only got better!
 Ummmm --- do you know who was in Vegas when I was in Vegas????
NKOTB!!!!
My childhood obsession!
 Finally, we get to the real reason I traveled across the country to go to Las Vegas -- the first Teachers Pay Teachers conference.  I am SO happy I bit the bullet and went for it because it was life changing!  And.....look who I met.....
 If you didn't know, that is Paul Edelman (the founder and heart behind TpT), Deanna Jump (the super sweet top seller), and her partner in crime DeeDee Wills.  
 I also got to meet the adorable Cara Carroll from The First Grade Parade whose blog I've loved ever since I started following blogs.  I also met John and Amy from TpT,  Nikki from Melonheadz Illustrating, Sarah Paul from Sarah's Snippets (who I found could be my twin in so many ways), the super sweet Sarah Kirby from Permanently Primary, and of course this group of super fun girls: Deirdre from A Burst of First, Molly from Lucky to be in First, Jaime from Bright Concepts 4 Teaching, Jen from Teaching in the Tongass, Aimee from Primarily Speaking, Vera from The Tutu Teacher, and Christy from Crayons and Whimsy.  
 Here is a little thank you gift from tons of TpT sellers to Paul and others at TpT.  It features pictures of many people who contributed and I was on there!  And then there was Paul on a Stick (hehe!).  He was popping up all over the place thanks to Heather from 2 Brainy Apples and Jen Bengel from Out of this World Literacy.  I love this picture with Amy - too funny! 
 I was so lucky to meet so many friends in Vegas.  This group of girls just made my week!  Look at the adorable little gifts they gave.  These friendships will last a lifetime!
So, that's about it (even though there really is so much more).  I cannot wait for Vegas 2015!!!  Maybe you will be there too :)

If you want to read all about the other adventures in Vegas, head over to A Burst of First for this link-up.  
 

Now back to my regularly scheduled summer :)

12 comments:

  1. Melissa- It was awesome!! I'm still processing! I love love loved hanging out with you. You may be the sweetest ever. Thanks for linking up!
    Deirdre
    A Burst of First

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like sooooo much fun! I couldn't make it this year, but I am saving up for next year! I am glad you had so much fun!
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was an amazing trip! I am so glad I was not the only one baffled by those elevator buttons! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad we finally got to meet each other in person! I had such an incredible time hanging out with you. Can't wait until next summer...
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a blast!! Wish I could have gone!!
    Ashley
    The Blessed OCDiva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your post! I am so glad to have had the chance to meet you:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how much fun did we have at the concert?! It was so awesome getting to meet you! Can't wait till the new memories we make next year!
    -Vera
    The Tutu Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG - I can't wait till next year! Love all of your pictures and the recap!

    Slainte,
    Molly
    Lucky to Be in First

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful post! I miss you already my friend! I had so much fun with you and absolutely adore you. Can't wait to see you next year!
    Sarah
    Sarah's First Grade Snippets

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa, It was so nice to meet you! I had a great time at the conference and I can't wait until next year. :)

    ReplyDelete