Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Top 10 Things I No Longer Do

You know you're a blogger when __________

A year ago I don't think I would know what to fill that blank with.  I'm sure many of you reading this, if you also have a blog, could easily fill in that blank with a million different things you do now BECAUSE you are a blogger.  It's funny how it has opened up an entirely different world to me and has essentially changed who I am as a person and as a teacher.  

So as I was sitting in front of my computer for yet another hour on top of hour, I came up with a top ten list of things I no longer do now that I am a blogger.  Some of these are good, and some not great - but like I said, I am definitely a different person than I was a year ago.  

So here they are (David Letterman style):


#10.  Read books.  Now, I read blogs!  

#9. Photocopy books or pages that say Do Not Duplicate  
(Yes, I did do that in the past.  Don't judge me, please!  But copyright is important and if I don't respect it then how can I expect other people to respect my ideas).

#8. I no longer go a day without checking my email, blog, Facebook, TpT, Instagram, and Pinterest.  It's a sickness!

#7. Judge people who make friends online.  
I used to think it was weird to make friends with people that you had never met, or even date someone you had never met.  Now I can say that I have made some great friendships with other people through blogging that I have never met (though I hope to someday) and I get it!  I haven't dated anyone though - I'm not sure my husband would appreciate that very much.

#6. I no longer go to bed before midnight.  Nope.  Not ever!

#5. I am no longer satisfied with free clipart online (and borders, backgrounds, and fonts for that matter)
Not that I don't use some of it, but I have found some seriously amazing clipart artists who make it so hard to not buy their adorable little packs of cutesy things.  This too is a sickness!  

#4. I no longer type up anything, even a quick reminder note home to parents, without a cute font, border, or graphic.  

#3. I no longer spend my summer days forgetting about school.  Instead, it's all I think about and spend my free time thinking about.  I'm hoping next summer I will be more balanced. I just had SO many ideas that had built up throughout the year and finally had time to work on them.  It's very addicting!

#2.  I no longer say that I got an idea from Pinterest


And the #1 thing I no longer do since I became a blogger is . . .

Accept that I have to use sub-par materials that come with a program when I know I can create something that is more engaging, more succinct, more appropriate for my students, and I'll just say it ------ cuter!

So there you have it.  Ten things that are different about me from about a year ago when I started this little old blog.  I definitely think it has made me a better teacher.  I find myself much more inspired to create fun, engaging, important lessons for my students.  I am so appreciative of the creativity I see from other bloggers.  I am incredibly honored to know that other people can use some of the things I've created.  It really has been a great year and I am excited for another great year ahead.

I'd love to hear how you would fill in the blank of my first sentence:

You know you're a blogger when _____________


By the way, a huge thank you to Kimberly Geswein, Keith Geswein and Dancing Crayons for their artistry.  Amazing - right?


9 comments:

  1. I no longer play Farmville!!!! I traded one addiction for another :)
    Cheers,
    Terri
    Terri's Teaching Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I agree with all of your "I no longer..."

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you on all ten! I could probably add watch tv to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely loving this post! I found myself nodding right along while reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you sure you weren't reading my mind? I agree with everything that you posted. Isn't it amazing what a different world we are in now that we are bloggers!
    Thanks for sharing these thoughts.

    Charlene/Diamond Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know you're a blogger when you watch T.V. with your laptop on your lap. I never just sit and watch T.V. anymore and I pretty much take my laptop everywhere I go. I loved this post Melissa. I agree that I am 100% different now than I was a year ago when I was starting to blog. I wouldn't change it for the world though!

    Amanda
    Mrs. Pauley’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was nodding my head at every single one of your ideas!

    I can add that I haven't watched TV since like March when I started this whole blogging/TPT deal.

    Heidi
    Secondgradealicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I no longer look at ANYTHING without thinking what I could turn it into and how I could make it better!! That is a sickness too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree with some of these! I have a complete addiction to clipart, and one of my new pet peeves is when people say they got an idea from Pinterest! I am so glad that I found your blog--it's adorable! I'm your newest follower!

    Ms. Cranfill's Class

    ReplyDelete