Thursday, February 21, 2013

Hall Pass Linky

One of my favorite blogs to follow is Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits.  I always enjoy reading her witty posts, and I can tell many others do as well since she already has over 50 other bloggers who have linked up for this one.  Click on the Hall Pass picture to go check them out.



Here is how this one works:
 Product

My favorite product always seems to be the one I most recently finished because I'm always anxious to get started with it.  So right now that would be my St. Patrick's Day Literacy Pack.  I got a little more creative with this one and even wrote an original poem called 3 Wishes about catching a leprechaun and getting 3 wishes.  Then students will write about what their 3 wishes would be and create a super-cute leprechaun craftivity to go with it.  I CANNOT WAIT TO DO THESE WITH MY KIDDIES!  I also made this nonfiction interactive reader to give a little background on St. Patrick's Day.  On each page students will read a fact about St. Patrick's Day and then be asked to do something, i.e. like filling in the calendar for the month of March and circling the 17th.  I'm also planning on having kids write a How-to on How to catch a leprechaun and build leprechaun traps at home.   Only a couple weeks to S. Patty's!!!!  



Area 

I didn't have the best picture, but my favorite area in my classroom (like many others) is our Morning Meeting/carpet area.  We don't meet on the rug for just Morning Meeting, but I wasn't sure what else to call it.  I don't have a picture that shows the rug by itself and we are off this week, so I found a couple to somewhat show it.  I just love how colorful it is and how it brightens up the room.  I love gathering on the carpet to do read alouds, teach a new math game, have a class discussion, etc.  It also has a director chair which was given to me by my very first class 10 years ago.  The chair has a class picture and all my students signed it. Love it!


Here are some of my kiddos playing at recess time - another reason why I love this area.  Aren't they so cute?!?!



Sorry I don't have a better picture, but you probably get the idea :)

Signal

I've been having so much fun reading about everyone else's signals they use in their classrooms.  I have definitely picked up a few that I like and want to start using.  

My go-to signal is Give Me Five.  I hold up my hand and say Give Me Five.  At this point the students are supposed to do 5 things, which start with raising their hands to show they heard me.  We have a Give Me Five poster (from Really Good Stuff) that shows what I expect from them.  We learn and practice this often in the beginning of the year.  


If I don't get everyone's attention on the first time I just quietly count down to zero from five.  At that point every student MUST have their hand raised and eyes on me.  If they don't then they have to change their cards.  Luckily this never really happens :)


Sanity

Ok - sanity......well......that comes in different forms for different days.  To start, my first one is definitely my morning coffee.  I usually bring my own from home, but sometimes need a second dose from DD.

Another thing that gives me a necessary break and keeps me sane are my amazing coworkers who are my friends.....and my other friends who aren't necessarily my coworkers.  I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get some laughs in at lunch with my fabulous colleagues.  Then I have my go-to friends that are there for me after school hours as well.  

This brings me to my number 3 -------- VINO!  No I don't NEED wine to get through my day, nor do I drink it everyday; however, I definitely enjoy a good glass every now and then with my friends or my hubby.  


And finally, at the end of the day - what could be better than coming home to these 2 smiling faces??????



Yes, they do cause some chaos and INsanity at times, but their smiles, snuggles, and laughs could brighten the worst of days!

Ok, so there you have it - my Hall Pass!  Be sure to go back to Reagan's linky and check out all the other amazing bloggers who linked up!  Just click on the picture at the top of this post.  

Hope you have a great day filled with all the things that keep you sane too :)



7 comments:

  1. Great Hall Pass Melissa!
    My favorite DD coffee is the French Vanilla....yummy, yum, yum!
    TGIF!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Mmmmm French Vanilla - one of my faves too! I also like Mocha Lattes. Hope you're having a great weekend :)

      Melissa

      Delete
  2. We don't have a DD where I live. However, I have heard their coffee is something to rave about! I must give it a try some day. Thanks for sharing your Hall Pass. Glad I found your blog. I am your newest follower.
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaime! Thanks so much for visiting!!! We have LOTS of Dunkin Donuts around here, but not as many Starbucks, which I also love. I'm on my way over to your blog now too :)

      Melissa

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous girls! Thanks for linking up! Cheers! (that was my morning coffee clinking the monitor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and thanks for hosting this linky. It's been fun reading everyone else's too! :)

      Melissa

      Delete
  4. Hi there Melissa!

    My teaching partner also uses Give Me Five and has enjoyed it so far this year. I'm glad to read that it works out so well for you too, I might need to try it out next year! Your sanity part cracked me up and your little girls are so cute.

    I am also participating in the Hall Pass Linky. Feel free to check out my pass on my blog.
    Have a great rest of your weekend!

    K. Almaraz at Our Future is bright

    ReplyDelete